Monday, March 23, 2009

This is Simplicity?

In an attempt to simplify my life, I think I have filled it far fuller than before. I am working less than I once was, but now I have -- literally -- stacks of magazines and books left unread, personal writing projects that are unwritten, cross stitch projects that are untackled and artwork that has been left unpainted. And that doesn't even take into account all of the cleaning I want to do and yet somehow never get to. In the midst of this, I am left to wonder when I thought I would have time for it all.

What's even more intriguing is how I got it all done when I was working 70-plus hours a week. Of course, I now have far more time to think and consider the work I am doing and appreciate the little things in life. Still, it's interesting to know what takes priority when your life shifts courses. Work can expand and contract to fill our days, but what else we fit in around the edges defines who we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment