Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cutting Through the BS of BS

I have been struck of late by the number of products Brooke Shields is peddling. It seems like every time I turn on the TV, I am bombarded by yet another commercial featuring her extolling the benefits of a product. As of now, I have seen her in commercials for toothpaste and a sun block that somehow, amazingly reverses the signs of sun damage. How ever do they do that?

The third BS-hawked product is a prescription medicine that is used to make your eye lashes longer. Of course, one potential side effect of using such a drug is that your eyes could be permanently discolored. Yeah, like that's what I want to use. Or promote.

Aside from the absurdity of the products, though, I find two fascinating things in all of this:

1. Is Brooke Shields really so hard up after her miserable, overrated flop called "Lipstick Jungle" was tossed off the air that she has to jump on any and every commercial opportunity that comes her way?

2. Do companies really believe that Brooke Shields has the appeal necessary to convince naive consumers to mindlessly buy their products? I find it hard to believe that people decide to buy something just because they've seen BS in a commercial.

Of course, I find it hard to believe that anyone is buying anything simply because they have seen it in a commercial. Can't we think for ourselves? Can't we figure out what's right for our lives without someone telling us what we need to make it better?

Here's to cutting out the BS in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment