Sunday, May 24, 2009

Finally Read THE Book

For years, friends have been telling me that I needed to read "The Devil Wears Prada." They said that I would find Miranda Priestly familiar.

From watching the movie, I already knew that the similarities I saw were almost haunting. I still can't watch Meryl Streep say "Why is no one ready?" in just that oh-so-put-upon tone without having flashbacks of a woman I worked with who brought every assistant she ever had to tears ... on a regular basis.

When you are in the midst of a similar situation, though, the last thing you want to do is read a book that reminds you of just how horrible people can be in treating others. So, try as I might, I couldn't ever make it past more than the first five pages.

Finally, after much coaxing by a friend, I picked up the book again to read. In the movie, of course, you only get a glimpse of the depravity of which this woman is capable. The book was much more enlightening than I could imagine. Not only did it remind me that I worked with a woman exactly like Miranda Priestly, but it made me realize I also worked with a woman who must have been using the book as a primer on how to get ahead in management.

Of course, in reading this, I once again have to ask: What makes people act like this? What drives them to such horrendous behavior? Are they just so unhappy with their own lives that they must spew their vile on others? Are they jealous? Bullies? Drunk with power? Were they just born without any empathy?

Let's face it, if these Mirandas of the world were out killing people in the same way they slaughter careers, egos, emotions and personal lives, we would call them sociopaths. Instead, the best we can muster is "assholes," all the while hoping the moniker will be enough to warn others of the darkness in their souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment