Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Joy of Song

For all of my complaints of how overpaid lyricists try to pass off fuzzy rhyme and verse as poetry to music, I must admit there are still songs that can take my breath away. I was reminded of this again today when I took a moment to enjoy the final verse of "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel:

In the clearing stands a boxer,

And a fighter by his trade

And he carries the reminders

Of ev'ry glove that laid him down

Or cut him till he cried out

In his anger and his shame,

"I am leaving, I am leaving."

But the fighter still remains

The imagery is so simple and yet so powerful that it makes me want to weep. I can clearly see the beaten man, head lowered, gloves dangling from tired hands. All he wants to do is go home. But he stays, pursuing a dream built on "lies and jest."

This is the kind of song that makes listening to the radio worthwhile.

And it's the kind of storytelling I aspire to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment