Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Long Road to Old

I keep hearing radio commercials advertising that David Cook will perform at the 2009 Oregon State Fair. Initially, all I could think was, "Wow, from American Idol winner to State Fair performer ... that's a long fall from grace in a short period of time."

Then, I realized I saw Sting in concert at the Oregon State Fair.

When I was in college.

Which led me, of course, to my second realization: I'm definitely old.

I'm not sure why it always surprises me when I remember that 40 is a mere 10 months away (exactly 10 months, in fact), but it does. Must be early onset dementia sneaking up on me.

(For all the youngsters out there, Sting used to be the lead singer of The Police. He sang about his love for Roxanne, the prostitute, and begged people not to stand too close to him before leaving the band to start a solo career, which went nowhere fast. Now, he's probably best known for his on-again, off-again claims of marathon sessions of tantric sex with his wife.)

1 comment:

  1. Well, look at it this way: We are all getting older, but we will never be as old as Sting.

    By the way, it was only in the United States that Sting's solo career went "nowhere fast". The European view (which I humbly represent) is that in Police, Sting was a larva (albeit talented with a great haircut), whereas his solo career turned him into a butterfly.

    Just listen to the albums "The Dream of the Blue Turtles", "Nothing like the sun", "Mercury falling", "Ten Summoner's Tales", and so many more. They are incredible.

    So if by "went nowhere fast" you meant him reaching the Nirvana of musical enlightment, you are right. If you meant not climbing the Billboard top 100 any more, that is rather an indicator of quality than anything else.

    ReplyDelete